OUR PLANET!

Home Forums OUR PLANET OUR PLANET!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dean NicholsonDean Nicholson
    Keymaster

Hello!

As you know I am very environmentally conscious and do my best to reduce mine and Nala’s carbon footprint!

I wanted to make a forum where members can share tips on how they are being eco-friendly, what sustainable products they use, dates for litter picks or similar events and get to know like minded people who all want to save OUR PLANET!

alex.gravesalex.graves
    Participant

The first place that I started was right at home!  The city picks up my recycle twice a month on my trash days.  It was a great start to get me going and to help me organize it until pickup.  My husband says I now recycle more than we have trash, which is a good thing to me. We don’t have to take our trash can out every week as some weeks there is only one bag.

I did find that what our city doesn’t recycle, plastic bags and foam egg cartons, our local grocery store (Publix) has a place for drop off.  I now have a routine which makes it so easy and convenient.

Participant

I also do my bit right at home. I am lucky to live Along the ocean in Honolulu. I walk “my” beach often and I ALWAYS carry a bag to pick up any trash items I see. I’ve been doing this for 25years now and can’t imagine the tons of trash I’ve scooped up on my walls. It’s not people leaving trash. Sadly it’s floating in on the tides. So much plastic and other stuff in our oceans! Always strive to leave nature a bit cleaner than you found it! We humans need to clean up our mess. 🙏🏼Aloha

Participant

I also do my bit right at home. I am lucky to live Along the ocean in Honolulu. I walk “my” beach often and I ALWAYS carry a bag to pick up any trash items I see. I’ve been doing this for 25years now and can’t imagine the tons of trash I’ve scooped up on my walks. It’s not people leaving trash. Sadly it’s floating in on the tides. So much plastic and other stuff in our oceans! Always strive to leave nature a bit cleaner than you found it! We humans need to clean up our mess. 🙏🏼Aloha

CookiesHelpCatsCookiesHelpCats
    Participant

I love that we have a Green Bin program in Ottawa, 🇨🇦 where we put compostables. They’ll even take things like kleenex, waxed paper cups and cat litter! They dropped garbage collection to every other week, but Green Bin pickup is weekly. We fill that bin to the brim every time. Does anyone else have compostable recycling curbside?

lily.emberlily.ember
    Participant

I wish our green bins allowed cat litter! I just found out we can put cardboard in it but my cats generate more litter.

Participant

It was just recently allowed, as they altered their contract with the company that receives the stuff. They also just permitted us to put in plastic bags, because people were too lazy to keep plastic out of the bin. 🙄 So now they pay extra to have that sorted out.

TriciaKay7TriciaKay7
    Participant

I quit using Round Up products a while ago.  I use vinegar in a spray bottle to control weeds.  They make a product that stronger then household vinegar that works great.  I wish that horrible product would be banned in the US.

marry.barrettmarry.barrett
    Participant

Hello cat friends,

I’m from the Netherlands. Here we separate compostables, glass, paper/cardboard and the rest. Garbage collection is compostables one week and the rest the other week. Glass and paper we have to take that to a collection point, which is only a few hundred meters from home. We eat 100% organic and everything fresh. I take the vegetables and fruit home in paper bags and I have shopping bags that I have been using for donkeys years. But I must admit that a lot of the fresh fruit is packed in plastic and also some of the vegetables. My husband and I have no drivers license (except we both got one for motorcycle, but it’s been over 25 years that we drove a motorcycle) so we do everything on our bicycle. We have a nice green garden and not a completely paved one like a lot of people have these days. We have solar panels and I’m a volunteer at the local no kill animal shelter. In the early spring I help toads and frogs cross our busy cycle lanes where a lot of them get killed. Thats all folks. I hope I can do more in the future.

Participant

Dental floss has been bugging me. I might try this one — no animal product in it, either.

https://well.ca/products/kmh-touches-flosspot-gold-vegan-dental-floss_174846.html

Participant

I try to grow bee- friendly flowers  in my garden and in the autumn leave some stems so that insects can hide away in the winter months. I have a tiny pond or pondlet in which a frog hangs out. In the winter he finds a crack below the bowl where he sleeps away before coming back out in the spring. Because I live in the middle of the city it feels important to have areas which attract pollinators and other insects. I have a large patch of comfrey which the bees really love.

Participant

I am lucky enough to have my own compost bins in the garden.At the moment one of them is ” resting” and the other is being added to. However, gardening can also generate plastic . It seems that every plant bought from a nursery or garden centre comes in a plastic tray or plastic pots. Of course you can keep re- using them but you end up with whole piles of them. I try to sew seeds in cardboard egg- boxes instead . There is a way to make plant pots out of newspaper although I’ve forgotten how you do it!

lazhelenelazhelene
    Participant

I think that a good way to take care of our planet, is to learn about the locals companys that make ecofriendly products. For one, you encourage locals products, and you also make sure to use products that will not leave a negative impact on the planet ! If you want to make a greater impact, you can help specialized organizations that make special day event to clean oceans or streets for example 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.